Monday, November 19, 2007

They'll take our jobs

But they won't take our dollars.

India: Tourist Sites Refuse the Dollar

By REUTERS
Published: November 17, 2007

The Ministry of Culture has begun insisting that tourists visiting the country’s monuments, including the Taj Mahal, pay the entrance fees in rupees rather than in dollars. Entrance to many sites for foreign tourists is priced in dollars and then converted to rupees, but the ministry has been losing tourism revenue as the dollar slid more than 12 percent this year against the rupee. The government had fixed a $5 entrance fee for World Heritage sites like the Taj Mahal and Humayun’s Tomb and $2 for other monuments at a time when the dollar was worth about 50 rupees. It is now worth around 39 rupees. The new rate for Heritage sites is 250 rupees, meaning a foreign tourist will pay the equivalent of about $6.50

11 comments:

Distributorcap said...

i bet you they can clean the squat toilets with an Andy Jackson....

more legacy from your friends at the Bush Administration -- a dollar that is worth three strips of Charmin

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jess Wundrun said...

Sorry, no_slappz, nothing wrong with your comment, other than it misses the point completely, again.

Still, I had to erase your comment. As I said, given an inch you will take a mile, and you've used up all your chances with me.

Matthew Hubbard said...

When do I get my first troll? I mean, getting Jeff Gannon (or someone pretending to be Jeff Gannon) doesn't really count like an incessant clueless freak who won't shut up.

Matthew Hubbard said...

When do I get my first troll? I mean, getting Jeff Gannon (or someone pretending to be Jeff Gannon) doesn't really count like an incessant clueless freak who won't shut up.

Jess Wundrun said...

Watchit, Matty. Slappy migrates faster than a case of the clap at Delta Phi.

dguzman said...

I'm gonna start carrying some rupees around with me. Maybe that'll make those guys at Dell Tech Service actually HELP me when I call.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dr. Zaius said...

Aw, who wants to see the old Taj Mahal anyway.

Anonymous said...

Just a comment - they didn't take our jobs, our CEO's took our jobs to them.

The race to the bottom, and all that it entails.

Regards,

Tengrain

Anonymous said...

Oh, and best line ever, Slappy migrates faster than a case of the clap at Delta Phi.

Rgds,

10