Thursday, November 15, 2007

The President in the Swimming Pool

America's best senator happens to live not in my neighborhood, but about one neighborhood over, maybe a mile or so away. 'Jesus, Jess' you say. 'We had no idea you were a swell, living the high life in an exurban mansion accessible only through a large, protective, moat-like, gated barrier.'

Friends! I am not such a person, because the senator is not Trent Lott or John D. Rockefeller. The senator is Russ Feingold, and he really is a smack-dab-in-the-middle of middle America guy. My neighborhood is made up of older ranch style houses with unfinished basements and one car garages. (The Senator has a 2 car garage).

It is possible to run into Senator Feingold all over town. About a year ago, I saw him swimming laps in the lap pool at our health club. "Health Club!" you snort, "sounds prestigious!" "Not at all," I answer. "Just like the Y, and locally owned!"

I told my daughter that the next president of the United States was in the pool. Sadly, only a short time after we saw him he made the announcement that he would not be running for president. Still, whenever we walk past the lap pool my daughter asks "is that the president's swimming pool?"

7 comments:

Distributorcap said...

all the good people just swim laps and dont run......

all the bad people pick up brush

Germaine Gregarious said...

It's true, Bush doesn't swim. Shit floats.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Feinsten is one cut mofro.

Fran said...

These three have left such pithy comments on this brilliant post, what can I possibly say?

How's this... can I come to visit?

Dr. Zaius said...

I really liled the idea of Senator Feingold as president. I am sorry that he dropped out of the race.

Anonymous said...

Next time you see him, tell him that it is not too late to get the coveted MPS endorsement. Maybe then he'll run.

Regards,

Tengrain

dguzman said...

Sweet! What a regular joe, just the kind of guy I'd like to swim laps with.