Monday, April 21, 2008

Six Thing Meme


Mathman has tagged me with the six thing meme.
Let's see:

1. (Inspired by Mathman's answers) My first car was a 1974 Ford Maverick. Her name was Marge. Road trips were Margical Mystery Tours. Marge's only other owner was a nun, there was a gummy patch on the dash where the dashboard Jesus once reigned. Marge was green and the seat upholstery was green and black stripes. (I wonder if kids today realize that there used to be rather stunning upholstery in cars?)

2. Ima Wundrun, the 4yo weighed 9 lbs 6 oz. at birth. She was ten days overdue and I had to be induced. I spent 1/2 hour in hard labor and the epidural was so great that the nurse told me I had to stop laughing at the doctor's jokes or the baby would come out too fast. When she heard this story, a woman that I worked with remarked "I didn't know your hootchie was so big".

3. Ben and I have been together for eight and a half years. We've moved five times. We have been in the same place for five years. I can't believe how much crap we've accumulated since our last move. With luck, we will never have to move again because I hate moving.

4. My kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Herman, sent me and David G. to first grade to learn how to read. When our reading class was over she would have us sit on her enormous lap and read whatever we had learned that day. Our kindergarten classroom was nearly 100 years old at the time. It had once been a one room schoolhouse, and when you laid on your cot for nap time you got to stare up at the tin ceiling and those old glass lights. Today, my old school is a bar/restaurant. I've been to weddings in the gym.

5. When I die I want my ashes scattered somewhere that I have never been. That way, whoever spreads the ashes gets to go on a trip! Currently, I'm thinking Africa.

6. I have man hands. My high school econ teacher once exclaimed 'yee gods, you have big hands'. Making lemonade out of lemons, I was a pretty good soccer goalie in high school. My patented save was to run out to the approaching opponent and grab the ball from right in front of her feet. I'd do this by putting my head where she'd kick it if she went for the ball. Most girls were afraid to kick me in the head. Save! Then there was the girl that took her team to state. She probably thought a goalie that would put her head by a striker's feet was an idiot and she kicked me in the head. I managed the save but since my vision was going in and out in black circles and I was swaying, my coach stood on the sideline and hollered 'Don't Move!'. You are only allowed four steps after a save to get rid of the ball, and if those steps are the stumbles you make right before you pass out, so what?

I'm not tagging anybody because I'm a jerk like that. But thanks for the opportunity to go gabbing about myself, mathman!

9 comments:

Fran said...

Jess Wundrun, you never fail to inform, to delight.

I love the dreamy idea of staring up at the tin ceiling during naptime.

dguzman said...

I used to try my own patented move when playing football with friends: when someone was going for the ball, you yell, "Look out for that puppy!" But it never worked. I guess it wasn't too convincing.

Nice stories about you--that classroom sounds cool. It must've had a very distinctive smell too, maybe like wood or something. Did you notice anything?

Claire said...

Nice!
My first kid weighed 10 lbs 3 oz at birth. It's one of my few claims to fame, so I mention it whenever I get the opportunity.

Jess Wundrun said...

franiam I cannot complain. I had about the best kindergarten experience one could have!

dguzman I think the patented puppy move works only in rugby. The classroom smelled like glue, rain and Mrs. Herman's unfruity, all-business perfume.

cdp she cooked a little longer too, so she's browner than the other one. I think we're not supposed to say if we have a really easy delivery. Guys won't stand in awe if you have one that's easier than a root canal.

On the other hand, they did take three tries to get that lovely epidural in. ouchiemama.

Did they put your tenpounder next to the sixpounders in the nursery? I sometimes think they're cruel like that. Congratulations.

Unknown said...

I definitely, like the scattering of ashes somewhere new. Thanks for playing along.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Your first car sounds like my grandpa's last car.

Dr. Zaius said...

You know what big hands mean, don't you? Big feet.

Dean Wormer said...

When I die I want my ashes scattered somewhere that I have never been. That way, whoever spreads the ashes gets to go on a trip! Currently, I'm thinking Africa.

How about exotic Lake Michigan?

And lots of people have big hands. Shaq, for instance. And he's a millionaire. So you got that going for you.

Yoga Korunta said...

Six Thing Meme? I'd love to play! What are the rules?