Friday, October 5, 2007

The "Most Famous Song Written in the West"

When John Denver went to China in the early 1990's he was surprised to learn that this song was considered "the most famous song written in the west". When he performed it, everyone sang along.

I have personally witnessed the Jamaican and the German renditions (these aren't my videos, though). Wander through, take a bite at each.

mit kraut und bier:



'pon da buston style chicken:



con sobrasada en Mallorca:



The original with corn:



Or Cash back:



and with 某些年轻人 (sum yung gi):



And in Burma with Ba zun thouk:



Enjoy!

6 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Wow. I had no idea. I'm stunned.

Distributorcap said...

almost heaven...........15 months of Bush.....

personally this is not one of my favorite songs........

Jess Wundrun said...

Dr. Monkey crazy isn't it?

D-Cap I know what you mean, as a rule, I wouldn't put the song on my iPod, but standing on a table at Oktoberfest and singing it at the top of your lungs is pure joy! (Though I was 7 months pregnant at the time)

Fran said...

You sang this at Oktoberfest? Ach du lieber!

This cracked me up and all the various versions.

When I was on the Spring Break trip that I mentioned at my blog today, I was walking through the Luxembourg Gardens in Paris with my friend who was studying there. Who should happen along but John Denver himself. We just sort of stood there and stared at him.

At the same time an African-American family walked right up to him and one of the kids asked for his autograph.

John's answer... No! And he strolled away.

The little girl said "Daddy I tole you not to make me ask him!", she was ticked.

This is not on my iPod and this blog post is probably the only likable thing about this song! Thanks Jess!!

So now I know Germany... what are the other 9?

Whiskeymarie said...

Not in eleventy million years would I have guessed that this song is so popular. Huh.
I do have a soft spot in my cold, hard little heart for all things John Denver- not sure why though...

Sorghum Crow said...

The version with Johnny Cash ain't bad.

I will admit to "singing" (a generous description if there ever was one) Country Roads in Japan in a bar that had karaoke.