Wednesday, August 22, 2007

If you want to know about there, go here

If you haven't already seen the amazing vlog series "Hometown Baghdad" you need to spend some time watching it.

It is about a group of young twenty something men and their friends and families. These are guys who are trying to get through dental college, play in bands, play basketball. You can watch and sometimes forget that they are not young Americans.

If you want to understand why the professionals are leaving Baghdad in droves, watch. I was going to say if you want to understand their anger at Americans, watch. But, there is not as much out and out anger as you might expect. In one webisode the subject is the death of a favorite uncle in an ambush at a busy intersection. There is anger, sorrow, grief but not rage.

There are about 38 webisodes in all. Each one fills in the missing spaces that our sad lack of coverage of the Iraq occupation leaves out.

The humanity.

5 comments:

Dr. Zaius said...

This is a great link! I seem to remember when this first came out that there was some FOX News noise about it, and then I have not heard about it since. What a great link!

Jess Wundrun said...

Dr. Z you weren't actually *gasp* watching Fox News?

The horror. the horror.

Fran said...

I have not watched as much of this as I would have liked, so thanks for the reminder.

You may recall I have written about my Muslim friends. They are Jordanian. I have received forwarded emails from one of them from people who either are living or were living in Iraq in these years since the war began.

They are tragic beyond belief and that is what the show reminded me of when I saw it. The intersection of courage and trying to live an ordinary life under these extraordinary (in a bad way) circumstances.

What have we wrought? What has the US wrought?

Dr. Zaius said...

"Dr. Z you weren't actually *gasp* watching Fox News?"

You must keep an eye on the enemy on occasion, Jess, as painful as it might be to do so.

Jess Wundrun said...

Fran there is a post about a british girl who went to Jordan to interview Iraqi children who are refugees. That article is here.

Dr. Z I'm glad you're willing to do the difficult work so that others (me) don't have to. As you may know there is a conservative in my house - Ben Wundrun. He tries to watch Fox but it's difficult for him to concentrate while I glare at him. He he.