Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Health Care Part II

We are being warned that if we get universal healthcare our own care will begin to suck like Mark Foley at a Fire Island hot tub party.

Say what?

My daughter needs a physical for summer camp a month from now. I can't get her in to see her doctor until sometime in September, several weeks after camp is over. (I admit that I should have scheduled this sooner, but who knew?)

A few years ago I was having some problems my general practitioner couldn't diagnose. I had to schedule an appointment with a neurologist. That wait was 3 months.

I never see an OB-GYN; to get to see one of those at my clinic would mean making an appointment ONE YEAR in advance. I'm supposed to see a physician's assistant for my annual exam, so in truth it's not even possible for me to go to a doctor.

The nurse at the pediatrician's office just called me and suggested one of those quick clinics at Walgreens or Wal Mart. Earlier, I called a free clinic and offered to trade time or a nice donation for my daughter to get a physical. The clinic said they weren't able to do that kind of exam.

A few years ago when I had very comprehensive and expensive health insurance I used to go to Planned Parenthood for my exams. I shudder when the conservatives fight to close those clinics just because they believe that crazy notion that parenthood should be planned. Crazy kooks.

Sorry folks. This is what we've gotten for the most dollars ever thrown at healthcare in all the world. I simply do not believe it will get worse.

Now I've got to find a Costa Rican directory so that I can schedule some dental work.....

14 comments:

Dr. Zaius said...

Hey! Costa Rica? I'll have to look into that. My favorite dentist is aspirin.

dguzman said...

I'm trying to cram all my dental and medical stuff into this last month of my current employment/health insurance. And I think we must be calling the same OB/GYN office, because she's book over a year in advance too. Good thing cancer and stuff don't run in my family; I'd die while waiting for my next "regular" appointment.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when people claim that the government can't do insurance better than the insurance industry. For one, how do these people know this? We've never tried it. And for two, government couldn't possibly do worse than the greedy fuckers in the insurance industry.

Randal Graves said...

Just be happy you don't live in, say, Canada, or you wouldn't get to see your doctor until 2013. Play that funky Lee Greenwood, Mr. DJ.

Anonymous said...

Health care is the number one concern in the U.S. I lost my policy when I had bypass surgery but thankfully I was saved by Veterans Benefits, entitlements that allow me to co-pay with the VA at a local VA clinic. Otherwise I'd be lost in the mix of those 48 million who have no insurance at all. It's a corrupt as you can get system. Talk to any doctor. I have. They all say it stinks.

lisahgolden said...

But, but, but! The free market fixes all! Why can't we liberals see that? I mean the free market has certainly done away with things like rationing and long waits and lack of choice......Jess, what a bunch of hassles. And it's all too common.

Distributorcap said...

when you have 535 assholes who have the best health care OUR money can buy deciding what kind of health care OUR money can or cannot buy - you have to expect they will only think of the people who fund their campaigns

rambling- but accurate

Mauigirl said...

Wow, that's frustrating. I usually don't have that much problem scheduling things here. But depending on your insurance sometimes it's really hard to schedule a mammogram. I used to have to go to one particular clinic for mine and you had to schedule it 3 months ahead of time. Now I have different insurance and don't have to go to that particular place and haven't had a problem since. It's very random I think. Which is the whole problem with our insurance system. Some people have no problems some have lots of problems and there is no consistency.

s. douglas said...

I return, and you're gone?

Hope all is well.

no_slappz said...

The average per-capita cost for healthcare in the US is about $6,000.

The annual per-person cost of Medicare is $8,000.

Here in NY State, the annual per-person cost of Medicaid is $12,500.

That's DOUBLE the national average.

Hence, if the US adopts a single-payer government-run program, we know costs will soar.

Randal Graves said...

Are you in jail?

Suzy said...

Hey, dear. Glad to see that at least No Slapz is still reading blogs! Thoughtful posts. I have a hard time reading about this particular issue because it makes me SO angry and sad. We were supposed to get better here after the election, right? Ay yi yi.

AMIT said...

Our health system needs to improve a lot.

Domain registration india

Unknown said...

PPLIC
Prudential Life
Philippine Prudential
Philippine Prudential Life

Unknown said...

Want to Make Website or Software...? Any Type of Website and Software and Desktop and Web Based Applications.
Want to Make Now, Just Contact us at Skype
Skype : Jobz.Corner